German publishing house Axel Springer, which recently acquired Politico magazine and Business Insider, requires from “every employee of our company” a commitment to Israel’s ‘right to exist’ (i.e. Israel’s alleged right to ethnically cleanse the land).
Reposted from Ha’aretz, October 17, 2021
Politico’s new owner, Germany’s Axel Springer, expects the U.S. website to adhere to the parent company’s principles including support for Israel’s right to exist, Springer’s CEO told The Wall Street Journal Friday.
Axel Springer said in August it was buying Politico for more than $1 billion.
The chief executive of the Berlin-based company, Mathias Döpfner, has long said that support for Israel is “a German duty.”
He told The Journal on Friday that this sentiment – and others such as support for a united Europe and a free-market economy – “are like a constitution, they apply to every employee of our company.” Employees who disagreed “should not work for Axel Springer, very clearly.”
Politico staffers, however, will not be required to sign a written commitment to these principles, as employees in Germany must, Döpfner said.
He said he expected Politico, which was launched in 2007, and Axel Springer to shun activist journalism, which he said was helping polarize the United States and other countries.
Axel Springer is “step by step developing the U.S. into our most important market and engine of growth for digital publishing,” Döpfner told The Journal.
In Germany, Axel Springer owns titles including tabloid Bild and the center-right broadsheet Die Welt. It has recently expanded greatly in the United States, buying Business Insider for about $500 million and the business-based Morning Brew.
“There will be no restructuring, no synergies, no mergers and no cost-cutting,” he told The Journal.
Döpfner said his company had hired over 1,600 people during the worst of the coronavirus pandemic, an approach that would be applied to Politico and the other U.S. titles.
- Associated Press Double Standard in Israel-Palestine Reporting
- Study finds 50-year history of anti-Palestinian bias in mainstream news reporting
- The Washington Post Redacted Facts About Israel’s Destruction of COVID-19 Clinics
- Why the BBC Acts as a Propaganda Outlet for Israel – An Insider View
- How Jonathan Freedland & the Guardian covered for Israel
- NBC misses truth by a mile
- AP’s slanted report on Gaza Return March, corrected and annotated
- How the Media Cracks Down on Critics of Israel
- Killing Mosquitoes: The Gaza Massacres, Pro-Israel Media Bias, & the Weapon Of ‘Antisemitism’
- I Was Fired For Criticizing Israel. Now I Dig Holes For A Living
- Sheikh Jarrah: How the US media is erasing Israel’s crimes
- Uncovering Canadian Media’s Devastating Pro-Israel Bias
- Israel aims to silence Palestinian journalists
- Associated Press misreports news about Gaza rocket into Israel
- Israel tried to sink a US Navy ship, Media covered it up
- Israel kills 10,000th Palestinian since 2000, US media largely ignore it