Israel just completed a massacre in Gaza, and is in the midst of ethnic cleansing in Jerusalem – so obviously, it needs to restock its military supplies. And obviously the US will be asked to pay for it.
by Barak Ravid, reposted from Axios, June 1, 2021
Israel will ask the U.S. for $1 billion in additional emergency military aid this week, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) told “Fox and Friends” on Tuesday and Israeli officials confirmed.
Why it matters: Israeli officials say the aid is needed to replenish the Iron Dome aerial defense system and to purchase munitions for the Israeli air force — mainly precision-guided bombs. But several congressional Democrats have argued against providing additional weapons to Israel after at least 256 Palestinians were killed during last month’s fighting in the Gaza Strip, mainly by Israeli airstrikes.
- The Iron Dome system was used to intercept thousands of rockets from Hamas during the 11 days of fighting, and Biden has already said the U.S. would replenish it.
Driving the news: Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz will arrive in Washington on Thursday for talks with Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin and national security adviser Jake Sullivan, Gantz’s office said. The aid request will be the focus of Gantz’s visit, Israeli officials say.
- While in Washington, Gantz will also discuss the Iran nuclear deal, the Gaza ceasefire and reconstruction efforts, and the situation in Lebanon.
- Worth noting: The Biden administration has promised $110 million to go toward reconstruction efforts in Gaza.
What he’s saying: “There is going to be a request made by the Israelis to the Pentagon on Thursday for $1 billion in aid to replenish Iron Dome batteries. It will be a good investment for the American people. I will make sure in the Senate that they get the money,” Graham told Fox a day after meeting Netanyahu and Gantz in Israel.
Flashback: In 2016, Israel and the U.S. signed an agreement for $3.8 billion in military aid to Israel over 10 years, with Israel able to ask for additional funding in case of an emergency.
- Congress votes $4 billion to Israel for 2021, press doesn’t tell Americans
- The True Cost of Israel: U.S. support goes far beyond the official numbers
- Congress passes legislation to expend $19 million/day on behalf of Israel
- This is apartheid: Jewish supremacy from the River to the Sea
- About the Iron Dome and Gaza “rockets”: Congresswoman Manning: let’s put your Sderot experience in context
- Gazan rockets and Israeli airstrikes
- Israel-Gaza violence May 2021