A quarter of Jewish voters polled by the Jewish Electorate Institute said they believed Israel is an apartheid state. This number rises to 38% for voters under 40.
By Michael Arria, reposted from Mondoweiss, July 13, 2021
A new poll of Jewish voters in the United States found that a quarter of them believe Israel is an apartheid state. The survey also indicates that support for Israel is declining among the group, specifically among younger Jews.
The Jewish Electorate Institute asked 800 Jewish voters about Israel and U.S. policy. Some notable findings:
- 25% said they believed Israel is an apartheid state.
- 34% think Israel’s treatment of Palestinians is similar to racism in the United States.
- 22% think Israel is committing genocide against the Palestinians.
When applied strictly to younger Jewish voters, these numbers all rise. 38% of Jews under 40 think Israel’s an apartheid state, 43% think Israel’s racism is comparable to the United States’, and 33% think the country is carrying out a genocide against Palestinian people. In fact, 20% of Jewish voters under 40 said that Israel does not have a right to exist.
38% of respondents said they aren’t emotionally attached to Israel. These numbers also jump among younger voters: 41% of Jews under 40 said they didn’t have an attachment.
54% of Jewish voters said that they’re very concerned about antisemitism, but the survey suggests that right-attempts to smear progressive House members and Palestine activists have largely failed. Just 22% of respondents said that antisemitism was originating from left-wing groups and individuals while 61% said it was coming from the right. 77% disagreed with former president Trump’s assertion that Democratic Jews are disloyal to Israel.
71% of respondents said they support the U.S. sending aid to Israel, but 58% said it should be restricted to deter settlement expansion. Again, the numbers shift among younger Jews. Just 60% of them said aid was important.
[Editor’s note: numerous experts have found that Israel is indeed perpetrating a form of apartheid. For example, see this and this.]
- This is apartheid: Jewish supremacy from the River to the Sea
- Another major human rights org reports: “apartheid” in Israel
- Joe Biden’s deep ties with Israel
- IRMEP Poll: Most Americans Aren’t Zionists But Democratic and Republican Party Platforms Are
- Gallup: support for Israel waning – majority of Democrats want pressure on Israel
- The COVID-19 vaccine: another ugly face of Israeli apartheid
- Poll finds only 41% of Americans view Israeli government favorably
- Poll: 75% of Americans Oppose Outlawing Boycotts of Israel
- For Justice, Not Apartheid, in Palestine