As an unarmed Palestinian young man, Ammar Mifleh, resisted arrest by a well-armed Israeli soldier, the soldier took out a pistol and shot him four times at point-blank range, killing him.
reposted from IMEMC – the International Middle East Media Center, November 2, 2022
On Friday, an Israeli soldier killed a young Palestinian man after dropping him to the ground in Huwwara town, south of Nablus, in the northern part of the occupied West Bank.
The Palestinian Health Ministry said the slain young man has been identified as Ammar Hamdi Mifleh, 22, from Osarin village, south of Nablus.
The Health Ministry said the soldiers prevented a Palestinian ambulance and medics from approaching the wounded young man, who succumbed to his wounds before the army took his corpse to an unknown destination.
A Video documenting the Israeli attack shows the soldier wrapping his arm around Ammar Mifleh’s neck and trying to drag him away before two Palestinians tried to intervene and de-escalate the situation.
The young man, who managed to get free from the soldier’s neck hold, wrestled with him for brief seconds before the soldier started removing his pistol out of its holster, his rifle fell in the process, and then he pushed the Palestinian, dropping him to the ground, before firing four rounds at him.
The soldier then approached the Palestinian again and before using his pistol to fire another round in a clear indication he executed the young man although he posed no threat, before picking up his rifle.
The soldier’s life was not in danger, especially since the young man was already on the ground, and he could have subdued him at gunpoint to allow other soldiers to arrest him.
Eyewitnesses said the scuffle was fast and brief and that when the Palestinians seemed to have grabbed the muzzle area of the rifle, he was trying to ensure it wasn’t pointed at him.
The Israeli army claimed a Palestinian “stabbed a police officer in Huwwara” before he was shot by the soldiers, adding that the officer suffered mild wounds.
The allegation cannot be substantiated, while eyewitnesses said the fatal shooting of Ammar Mifleh had nothing to do with the alleged stabbing.
According to the army, “the Palestinian attempted to snatch the weapon from the soldier before his rifle fell” however, even that scenario does not justify firing four life rounds at the Palestinian who was already on the ground and was unarmed.
The young man’s execution led to massive protests in Huwwara before the soldiers shot a young man with a rubber-coated steel bullet and caused dozens to suffer the effects of tear gas inhalation.
The Palestinian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates denounced the execution of the young man and described it as “a cold-blooded murder committed by a racist Israeli occupation soldier encouraged by the extremist political and military leadership in Israel.”
It added that Israel’s policies allowing soldiers to use live fire against unarmed Palestinians are all part of the political incitement, hatred, and racism of the Israeli political and military leaderships and the illegal paramilitary colonizers who became a second army occupying Palestine.
The Ministry called on the International Criminal Court and the International Community to end their deadly silence, prosecute the war criminals, and end this illegal, criminal colonialist occupation of Palestine and its seriously escalating crimes.
NOTE: The entire West Bank has been under Israeli occupation since 1967; all its official entrances and exits are controlled by Israeli soldiers, making its Palestinian inhabitants virtual prisoners. Many are families that were ethnically cleansed from Israel during Israel’s founding war (see this and this and this). Israeli forces invade West Bank towns and villages daily; one example is here. Thanks to the pro-Israel lobby in the US, Congress disburses over $20 million per day of Americans’ tax money directly to and/or on behalf of Israel.
For a complete list of Palestinians and Israelis killed since 2000, please visit Israel-Palestine Timeline
IMEMC, the International Middle East Media Center, is a media center developed in collaboration between Palestinian and International journalists to provide independent media coverage of Israel-Palestine. It was founded by the Palestinian Centre for Rapprochement between People in 2003. In 2021, IMEMC became a project of the American nonprofit organization If Americans Knew.
OTHER KILLINGS OF PALESTINIANS BY ISRAELI SOLDIERS IN THE PAST MONTH:
- Invading Israeli soldiers kill 5 Palestinians (17 total in Nov, including 5 children)
- Palestinian boy in Negev dies of wounds after Israeli police shot him
- Two more Palestinians die after being shot by Israeli soldiers
- Invading Israeli forces kill 16-year-old protester, injure 32 in Nablus
- Invading Israeli soldiers kill another teen In Jenin
- Israeli Soldiers Kill Palestinian Girl Near Ramallah
- Israeli Soldiers Kill A Palestinian Teenager – 197th Palestinian this year
- Israeli soldiers shoot to kill – at least 4 Palestinian victims Thursday
ISRAEL ADVOCACY IN THE US:
- Adidas gives ADL, known for bigotry, $1 million for ‘anti-bigotry’ project
- ADL trying to exploit movement for ‘socially conscious investment’
- Dear JNS: why are you perpetuating lies about Shireen?
- The Israel partisan who funded Democrats’ midterm races
- Former Israeli spies working in top jobs at Google, Facebook, and Microsoft
- WATCH: 30-second video about $20 mill per day on behalf of Israel
- Hill video criticizes Israel’s noncooperation with investigation of Shireen Abu Akleh
- Israel’s ethnic cleansing of Al-Araqib told by one of its sons
- Palestinians’ life under Israeli occupation: Israeli soldiers describe their actions in Hebron