A California-based group, Fourteen Friends of Palestine, invites people to participate in its “2022 Sponsored Diet” to support the Palestinian cause (The current record raised from a single dieter in past years is $3,000.)
By 14 Friends of Palestine
Israel restricts the amount of food going in to Gaza, a ruthless and deliberate policy whereby the dietary needs of the Gazan people are chillingly calculated to keep the population alive at a near starvation level. An Israeli minister joked that they were “put[ting] the Palestinians on a diet.”
Members of the international community are invited to join in a diet voluntarily, to show solidarity with the people of Gaza, and to raise funds for the Palestinian cause.
The 2022 Sponsored Diet is being organized by 14 Friends of Palestine.
The Rules [click to expand]
- Be aware this is a fundraiser for Palestine, not a diet club. Our goal is to raise as much money as possible for Palestine, as well as improve our health through weight loss and lowering insulin resistance. This is especially important during the pandemic to better fight Covid-19 should we get it.
- Weigh in on Tuesday Feb 1st 2022 at home.
- As an alternative to weight loss, participants may choose to lower their HbA1c instead. They would need to get their blood tested before and after the diet.
- Join the 2022 Sponsored Diet google group for moral support
- Get sponsors (suggest $2-$10 per pound) But there is no upper limit!
- Eat wisely, eliminating refined carbohydrates such as sugar, and heat extracted seed oils
- Weigh-out Tuesday May 10th, after 14 weeks
- We have a Weigh-Along every two weeks to stay on track
- Collect money from sponsors when the diet ends. Exact details on payment will be given nearer the time.
- Please have all donations in by Tuesday May 31st 2022
- Dieters and their sponsors may choose which organization to support. Therefore, the totals raised will not necessary be equal
- Please note that your actual weight will remain confidential at all times
Those of you who do not need/wish to lose weight are invited to sponsor those of us that do.
Automatic disqualification for:
- Rocks in pockets at weigh-in
- Use of helium balloons at weigh-out
- Child birth
Please note that this is a fundraiser for Palestine. Dieters pledge to raise at least $100. Current record raised from a single dieter is $3,000.