As of December 21st, Israel had killed approximately 185 Palestinians (8 women, 37 children). Israeli home demolitions have made 823 Palestinians homeless (162 women, 373 children). The Israeli military has conducted over 8,600 incursions into Palestinian areas, and arrested 4,800 Palestinians (49 women, 466 children). Palestinians have also endured over 250 attacks by Israeli settlers…
by Kathryn Shihadah
If Americans Knew posted or reposted roughly 250 articles in 2022, covering the situation in Israel-Palestine and news relevant to the region. Some of the major events included Israel’s August attack on Gaza and the murder of beloved Palestinian-American TV journalist Shireen Abu Akleh in May.
No one knows better than Palestinians themselves that, in between these major stories, Israeli oppression has been ongoing and crushing.
By the numbers
Headlines are terse and soulless, and data are impersonal, but they can give us some insight into the magnitude of Palestinian hardship – the experiences of families that have lived through several generations of grave injustice. For example:
- As reported by the Washington Post, United Nations declared that 2022 was the most deadly year for West Bank Palestinians since the international body began monitoring Palestinian fatalities in 2005. Israeli forces killed at least 146 Palestinians in that territory – almost double last year’s number.
- Save the Children declared in November that 2022 was the deadliest year for West Bank children since 2006. Since this report, Israeli soldiers killed 3 more Palestinian children
- The Palestinian Center for Human Rights disclosed that as of December 21st, Israel had killed 185 Palestinians in 2022, (8 women, 37 children – some sources report slightly different numbers). Israeli home demolitions have made 823 Palestinians homeless (162 women, 373 children). The Israeli military has conducted over 8,600 incursions into Palestinian areas, and arrested 4,800 Palestinians (49 women, 466 children). Palestinians have also endured over 250 attacks by Israeli settlers.
Perhaps the most iconic and horrific tragedies of the year were the deaths of Rayan Suleiman and Shireen Abu Akleh.
Theirs are not just heartbreaking stories in themselves. They also speak volumes about the ruthlessness of Israel’s oppression.
Shireen Abu Akleh, a beloved Palestinian-American TV journalist, was murdered by an Israeli sniper’s bullet on May 11th. US mainstream media failed to cover the incident accurately, and Israel partisans continue to perpetuate lies.
Israel stubbornly refused to acknowledge its guilt long after it was implicated through investigations by the New York Times CNN, the Washington Post, the United Nations, Israeli human rights organization B’Tselem, and the Dutch-based Bellingcat research group. Israeli leaders refused even the mildest scolding by the US.
Rayan Suleiman was just 7 years old when Israeli soldiers chased him home from school and threatened him. The little boy was so terrified that, according to the coroner, he had a heart attack and died on the spot. Rayan had experienced ongoing trauma all his short life, living as he did under brutal and invasive occupation. Israel declared itself innocent of his death.
Below are several categories of stories we brought you in 2022 – stories that all Americans should read.
ISRAEL’S ATTACK ON GAZA, AUGUST 5-7, 2022
In the past, when Israel has initiated attacks on Gaza, it has been in “retaliation” for rockets from Gaza “raining down on Israeli civilians” – rockets that rarely cause casualties. Israel’s August attack, however was preemptive, allegedly based on speculation that a resistance group in Gaza was planning an attack. No evidence was presented, but Israel’s 3-day assault left 49 Palestinians dead, including 17 children. No Israelis died.
Mainstream media failed to present these facts, but If Americans Knew brought regular updates, for example:
- The names and faces of the 15 children killed in Gaza, August 5-7, 2022
- Gaza Update: death toll in Israeli aggression reaches 43 Palestinians – many children
- UN OCHA update on situation in Gaza following Israel’s attack
THE SITUATION IN GAZA
In addition to Israel’s attack on Gaza, its crushing blockade on the innocent men, women and children of Gaza is now in its 15th year. Here are a few of the reports we posted on this tiny sliver of land that has been called “the world’s largest open-air prison” (for background, watch this video):
- WATCH: The Prison Remains the Same (Palestine)
- Gaza: Israel’s ‘Open-Air Prison’ at 15
- A Scarred Childhood: Israeli Attacks against Palestinian Children in the Occupied West Bank in 2022
IAK’S USS LIBERTY VIDEO
In 2022, If Americans Knew produced a full-length documentary film called “Justice For Liberty,” telling the carefully concealed story of the day in 1967 when Israel bombed a US warship, killing 34 Americans and injuring another 174. The cover-up of this incident by the American government and media, and many other organizations (and Israel) has been disgraceful. IAK is proud to have helped call attention to the issue in 2022:
- Watch the film: Justice For Liberty
- USS Liberty ad by If Americans Knew broadcast twice on Tucker Carlson
- Ad about USS Liberty aired twice on Dan Bongino radio program
- Flashback: Attack on the USS Liberty – Lessons for U.S. National Security
ISRAEL’S WAR ON PALESTINIAN PRISONERS AND DETAINEES
There are currently over 4,700 Palestinian political prisoners (including children) and over 800 administrative detainees (including children) in Israeli prisons (these facts alone violate multiple international laws). Israeli prisons are notoriously harsh, and Palestinian prisoners (including children) are routinely subject to torture.
Since 1967, Israel has imprisoned more than 700,000 Palestinians from the occupied territories (West Bank, Gaza, and East Jerusalem).
2022 was a harsh year for Palestinian prisoners. If Americans Knew brought you these and other important stories:
- Palestinian hunger strikes: growing resistance against growing Israeli crimes
- Palestinian Detainee Dies in Israeli Jails, Another Victim of Medical Negligence
- Israel has no mercy on Palestinian prisoner Ahmad Manasra, whose mental health is worsening
- Israel holds thousands of Palestinian prisoners in solitary confinement despite health risks
- Palestinian prisoner reaches deal with Israel to end his detention, concludes hunger strike
ISRAEL’S WAR ON CHILDREN
The Israeli military killed at least 36 Palestinian children in 2022, a frightening number of them shot in the head or chest.
On a smaller scale, but more widespread, are the daily indignities that Palestinian children must endure, simply because Israel is allowed to get away with it.
Here are just some of the headlines IAK posted this year, calling attention to the slaughter and abuse of Palestine’s innocents:
- Invading Israeli forces kill 16-year-old protester, injure 32 in Nablus
- Ilan Pappé on Israel’s Relentless War against Palestinian Children
- A Scarred Childhood: Israeli Attacks against Palestinian Children in the Occupied West Bank in 2022
- Israeli Soldiers Kill Palestinian Girl Near Ramallah
- Israeli Soldiers Kill A Palestinian Teenager – 197th Palestinian this year
- Bloodstains & Destruction: Israeli soldiers’ beating of Shadi Khoury
- 12-year-old dies from injuries after Israeli soldier shot him Sept 28 in Jenin
- Israeli forces kill two more Palestinian teens
- Shams: at 11, he’s not too young to be beaten & traumatized by Israeli soldiers
- Two Palestinian Boys, Two Eyes Lost to Israeli Army Gunfire
- Palestinian Child Dies After Israel Denies His Travel for Treatment Abroad
- Israeli soldier: ‘We killed a little boy, but it was within the rules’
- Another little girl dies from Israeli strikes on Gaza
- Gaza child dies from wounds from Israeli airstrike on family car
- Israeli forces gun down teen, wound two others in Hebron
- The names and faces of the 15 children killed in Gaza, August 5-7, 2022
- Israel’s epidemic rate of medical permit denial for Gaza’s children
- After 15 years of blockade, 4 of 5 children in Gaza struggle with depression, grief & fear
- Israeli Forces Kill Palestinian Child near Bethlehem
- Israeli forces use Palestinian girl as a human shield in Jenin
- 53,000 Palestinian children detained by Israel since 1967
- Israel on the hook for death of one-year-old Fatma Jalal al-Masri
- For Over a Year, Israel Has Jailed a Palestinian Teen With a Rare Disease. There’s No Trial in Sight
- WATCH: 2-minute video on the 78 Palestinian children killed by Israel in 2021, and the 1 Israeli child killed by Palestinians
- Israeli soldiers, military court treat Palestinian kids like criminals
- Palestinian children held in solitary confinement by Israel surges
ISRAEL’S WAR ON PALESTINIANS VIA SETTLER VIOLENCE
2022 was a particularly gruesome year for Israeli settler violence against Palestinians. In many cases, Israeli forces, as usual, either stood by or even assisted the settlers in their attacks.
It is generally accepted that settler violence is an integral, if informal, component of Israel’s effort to ethnically cleanse Palestinians from parts of the occupied territories.
Here are a few 2022 posts from If Americans Knew about settler violence:
- Israeli military, settlers are breaking records in violence toward Palestinians
- Three eyewitness accounts of Israeli settler violence
- Over 100 Israeli Settler Attacks Documented in Past 10 Days
- Israeli Colonizers Kidnap Palestinian Girl In Jerusalem
- Israeli settlers stab int’l female activist, break her leg
- Updated: Terrified by Israeli soldiers, 7-year-old Palestinian child died of heart attack
- Israeli settlers attack a Palestinian man, breaking both his arms; Israeli army arrests him
- The (almost) unbelievable story of an Israeli killer – and the lies that are protecting him
- Israeli Colonizer Fatally Stabs a Palestinian in the Heart
- More Israeli settler violence: Palestinians brutally attacked, then interrogated by police
THE UKRAINE-PALESTINE DISCONNECT
When the Russia-Ukraine war erupted, advocates of justice for Palestinians saw the similarities – but mainstream media missed it.
Here are several interesting items IAK provided to highlight the obvious parallel:
- The fine line between “hero” and “terrorist”
- WATCH: One-minute video on Ukraine & Palestine
- The World United for Sanctions on Russia. Why Can’t It Do the Same for Palestinians?
- Boycotting Russia is compulsory, while boycotting Israel is punished
- Ukraine, Palestine and the propaganda of war
- Israel and Russia are two peas in a pod
- The crisis in Ukraine exposes the hypocrisy of Israel and its Zionist allies
- Oligarchs: Russia, Israel, and Media Omissions
- John Mearsheimer & Ray McGovern: Essential info on Ukraine-Russia
ISRAEL’S WAR ON HUMAN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS, ACTIVISTS, AND JOURNALISTS
Israel has fought to discredit and/or silence truth-tellers for decades. 2021 saw the start of a particularly vicious attack on 6 well-known Palestinian human rights organizations – and in 2022, the attack has continued.
Israel is also scrambling to demonize yet more organizations that are exposing its secrets. Amnesty International and the UN Special Rapporteur on Palestine issued reports in early 2022 declaring Israel an apartheid state – following in the footsteps of Human Rights Watch and the Israeli human rights groups B’Tselem, and Yesh Din.
Israel has also been harassing or imprisoning individual activists.
Some examples from IAK in 2022:
- Israeli forces raid, shut down Defense for Children & 5 other agencies in West Bank
- Israel convicts World Vision official despite evidence he’s innocent
- Israel ‘top priority’ is to discredit UN, Rapporteur says Israel commits apartheid
- Israel’s new secret document still fails to tie Palestinian NGOs to ‘terrorism’
ISRAEL’S “SHOOT FIRST” POLICY
Not only do Israel’s military and police use lethal force as a first resort, they also have the admiration and support of their government in doing so.
Here are some of the too-many stories you heard here in 2022:
- Israeli soldier shoots, kills unarmed Palestinian at point-blank range
- Israeli soldiers shoot to kill – at least 4 Palestinian victims Thursday
- Israeli soldiers kill three Palestinians in two days
- Father of three shot dead after colliding with empty Israeli police car
- Invading Israeli soldiers kill Palestinian photographing them, Injure 17 In Jenin
- Israeli Soldiers Kill Palestinian, days before his daughter’s wedding
- Israel killed 4 more Palestinians over the weekend
- Israeli Soldiers Kill A Young Palestinian Woman Near Hebron
- Some recent Palestinian victims of Israel’s shoot-first policy
- Ten Days, Five Israeli Bullets, Five Bedouin With Serious Head Injuries
- Israeli forces kill 3 Palestinians in one day
- Israeli forces kill 2 Palestinian teens in 24 hours, 5 Palestinians in a week
CORPORATE AMERICA, MAINSTREAM MEDIA, AND SOCIAL MEDIA SIDE WITH ISRAEL
Not always, but all too often, Israel partisans in the US pull strings to perpetuate Israel’s innocence myth in various arenas. (IAK has reported for years about mainstream media’s pro-Israel bias – see this and this and this, for example).
Here are a handful of the many stories If Americans Knew has shared with you this year on this issue:
- Israel’s latest killing spree – minor news to US media
- Adidas gives ADL, known for bigotry, $1 million for ‘anti-bigotry’ project
- ADL trying to exploit movement for ‘socially conscious investment’
- Dear JNS: why are you perpetuating lies about Shireen?
- The Israel partisan who funded Democrats’ midterm races
- Former Israeli spies working in top jobs at Google, Facebook, and Microsoft
- Top Hollywood producers worked with Israel to defend its war crimes
- Facebook report concludes company censorship violated Palestinian human rights
- Dishonest coverage by NPR & NY Times of Israel’s attack on Gaza
- US mainstream media lets Israel manipulate reports on killing of journalist Shireen Abu Akleh
- Washington Post, NYT, LA Times are erasing Palestine
US GOVERNMENT’S WAR ON JUSTICE AND PEACE FOR PALESTINIANS
It’s bad enough to know Palestinians are enduring all this oppression from Israel – but the horror reaches a whole new level when we remember that our government is bankrolling these atrocities – over $10 million every day. Our Congress members are actively supporting this regime using our tax dollars. (And we typically expend an additional $10 million per day on projects because they benefit Israel.)
Here are just a few of the many ways our government has been enabling Israeli human rights abuses this year:
- US ambassador praises Israel’s ‘relatively calm’ actions in Gaza, leaves out slain Palestinians
- Israel demands full impunity for killing Shireen Abu Akleh – and the Biden administration agrees
- Israel is the real winner of Biden’s meeting with the Saudi crown prince
- Consolidated Appropriations Bill Includes Nearly $5 Billion for Israel (& other Capitol Hill news)
- Sec’y Antony Blinken’s hypocrisy at Georgetown
- Will Ketanji Brown Jackson be able to transcend her pro-Israel influences?
- Congress’ ‘Israel Normalization Act’ normalizes ethnic cleansing and impunity
- Billions more of Americans’ tax money to go to Israel
- WATCH: State Dept’s Ned Price on Israeli apartheid & killing of 80-year-old
ISRAEL LOBBY’S AND ISRAEL PARTISANS’ EFFORTS TO KEEP ISRAEL HAPPY
Israel couldn’t get away with murder like it does, without the help of its team of devotees. They don’t just solicit money – they influence foreign policy, trample on Americans’ right to free speech, and dictate politicians’ responses to Palestinian suffering. How do they do it? Simple: nobody is holding them accountable.
A few of the many achievements by friends of apartheid Israel:
- How Israel loyalists keep US officials in line: Ambassador nominee is taken down
- How an Israel Lobby Group Infiltrated US Education
- AIPAC’s $16 mill lays down red line for Dems: Don’t criticize Israel
- Israel advocates pass new definition of antisemitism at 15 more U.S. colleges
- Mike Pence and the (alarming) company he keeps
- Ambitious Mike Pence meets with Miriam Adelson & anti-Christian Israelis connected to terror group
- ADL’s Jonathan Greenblatt: supporters of Palestine = ISIS
- Israeli diplomat’s show-and-tell: a Palestinian “terror rock”
- Establishment Jewish groups’ fake support for anti-racism
MISCELLANEOUS INJUSTICES (SOME HISTORIC) THAT DESERVE MENTION
The stories, sadly, never seem to end – although we at If Americans Knew dream of the day when a just peace comes to the region.
Here is a sampling of the various other issues that we addressed in 2022:
- Israel has been actively covering up a Shin Bet sex crime for years
- Israel and the threat of the Palestinian womb
- Israeli forces poisoned Palestinian wells during Israel’s founding war… and after
- Israel’s history of biological warfare & poisoning – violations of int’l law
- Israeli soldiers raid, occupy Episcopal Church in West Bank
- Flashback: Israel offered to sell South Africa nuclear warheads
- Transcripts of Kafr Qasem Massacre Trial Revealed: Palestinian ‘Fatalities Were Desirable’
- Israeli apartheid policies are constricting Palestinian rights across the board
- Healthcare access: Israel has Palestinian women giving birth by the side of the road
- No, the UN did not create Israel – its war of ethnic cleansing did it
- Tortured Into Confession: Two Palestinians Recount Hellish Interrogation
- Does Israel Permit Freedom of Worship? Are Palestinian Christians Doomed?
- Israel surpasses 1,000 demolitions in occupied West Bank since Biden took office
- Invading Israeli troops injure 80 Palestinians, shoot ambulance
- Israel to demolish home of 95-year-old disabled Palestinian woman in Negev
- Woman subjected to ‘intimate’ body search by Israeli army appeals case
- 1951 Documents Reveal Israel’s Intent to Ethnically Cleanse Bedouin from their Lands
- Israeli soldiers who allowed Omar As’ad to die did not have a momentary “moral failure”
- There’s a Mass Palestinian Grave at a Popular Israeli Beach, Veterans Confess
- WATCH: Israeli video whitewashes Israeli demolition of Palestinian home in Sheikh Jarrah
- Palestinian senior citizen dies after hit-and-run by Israeli police
- Israeli trash is poisoning Palestinians in the West Bank
PALESTINIAN RESISTANCE IN NABLUS AND JENIN
Palestinians are not without agency. 2022 witnessed a huge number of weekly protests throughout the West Bank. Resistance against occupation is legal – even armed resistance is compatible with international law, though the vast majority of Palestinian resistance is unarmed.
Palestinian resistance has been organizing against Israel’s ongoing occupation (illegal), especially in Jenin and Nablus. Israel considers these resistors “terrorists,” and went all out in 2022 to break up these groups. 57 Palestinians were killed in raids on Jenin alone.
Below is a smattering of the articles IAK presented on the almost nightly invasions:
- Breaking: Israeli forces invade Nablus, Kill 5, Injure 21 – kill 1 in Nabi Saleh
- Israel To Continue Assassinations In West Bank
- Israeli forces assassinate Palestinian resistance leader
- Israeli forces assassinate two Palestinians in occupied Nablus
- 4 Palestinians dead on Friday: Israeli soldiers kill 3; 1 resistance fighter succumbs
- Dozens of Israeli armored vehicles, helicopters invade Jenin, kill 2, injure 11
- Israeli Soldiers Kill Four, Injure Forty-Four Palestinians, In Jenin
- Israeli forces kill two Palestinians in massive Nablus raid
- Breaking: Israeli forces assassinate three Palestinians in Nablus
AMERICAN AND GLOBAL ALLIES OF JUSTICE FOR PALESTINIANS
Worldwide, there is a large contingency of Palestinian rights supporters. They have yet to gain the upper hand over Israel’s propaganda machine, but 2022 was a year of progress.
Here are a few stories of advocacy that If Americans Knew brought you this year:
- UN approves resolution to commemorate 75th Nakba anniversary
- Hill video criticizes Israel’s noncooperation with investigation of Shireen Abu Akleh
- Senator Patrick Leahy speaks out on killing of Shireen Abu Akleh
- Israeli NGO refers Israel to Int’l Criminal Court for torture of Palestinians
- Amnesty International: Israel’s Apartheid Against Palestinians
- Emma Watson supports Palestine, Israeli leaders call “antisemitism”
It’s clear to see that Israel and its allies are determined to keep a boot on Palestinians’ necks – but times are changing.
More than ever before, “apartheid” has become a common term to describe the situation. Americans’ love affair with Israel is declining.
But we know the pattern: when the Palestinian narrative begins to find acceptance, Israel doubles down on its efforts to silence the truth-tellers.
Bottom line: If Americans Knew is committed to providing Americans facts on this crucial issue that mainstream media omit. We hope you will join us. Please share our posts, talk about the Palestinian situation, contact your Congress members, and support us financially if you possibly can.
For a complete list of Palestinians and Israelis killed since 2000, please visit Israel-Palestine Timeline
LAST YEAR’S WRAP-UP: A chronicle of Israeli actions against Palestinians in 2021
PALESTINIAN HUMAN RIGHTS ROUND-UP: Human rights reports on Israel-Palestine (regularly updated)