Israel has killed more Palestinian men, women, and children in a little over a month than in all its previous 22 years of invasions and massacres combined. Israel’s attacks on Gaza’s imprisoned population have killed a child on average every 10 minutes
By Alison Weir
The total number of Palestinians killed in all these since 2000 through October 6, 2023 was 10,751.
Now, on November 10th, the number of Palestinians killed is 21,541. In other words, in a little over a month, Israel has killed 10,790 Palestinians.
During this entire time, Gaza’s approximately 2 million people have been living in what many call the world’s largest open air prison. A fortified fence surrounds Gaza, its few entrances and exits controlled by armed guards.
In addition, Israel has blockaded Gaza for the past 16 years and even earlier, often preventing food, medical items, and other necessities from entering the area. In 2006, Dov Weisglass, senior advisor to Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, referred to Israel’s severe restriction on food imports as “putting Gazans on a diet.”
Approximately 80% of Gazans are families whose ancestral land and homes were confiscated by Israel in 1948, when they were forced into exile. Israeli communities surrounding Gaza are built on stolen Palestinian land taken through military force.
In 2018, a massive nonviolent protest began in Gaza, in which thousands of men, women, and children demonstrated against their imprisonment and loss of land. The protests continued weekly for over a year and a half, Israeli forces killing and maiming participants every week, including women, children, medics, and journalists.
Finally, on October 7th there was a “prison break” in which some Gazans escaped their open-air prison and fought back against Israel. Hundreds of Israelis in areas surrounding Gaza were killed; the exact number is unknown since Israeli forces were reportedly responsible for a number of the deaths, and much misinformation has been disseminated.
Resistance forces took 239 Israeli prisoners, including 30 children, with a plan to exchange them for the over 5,000 Palestinians held by Israel, including 180 children. Some Israeli captives have already been released for humanitarian reasons, without requiring anything from Israel, and at least one of them said she had been treated well.
The day after the attack by Gazan escapees, Israeli forces began indiscriminately shelling Gaza, and in the ensuing weeks destroyed much of Gaza’s infrastructure. So far, Israel airstrikes have reportedly dropped 27,000 tons of explosives on Gaza. The attacks have killed a child on average every 10 minutes. Damage so far includes:
- At least 45% of Gaza’s housing units have been destroyed or damaged
- 279 education facilities damaged
- 130 health facilities attacked
- 18 hospital and 40 health care centers out of service
- 51 ambulances damaged
- At least 3 churches and 66 mosques damaged
Israel has cut off electricity in northern Gaza since October 11, and prevented sufficient food, water, and medical care from reaching Gazans.
The growing death toll among civilians and the escalating humanitarian catastrophe have caused people around the world, including many Americans, to demand a ceasefire, but Israel continues its shelling.
Even the pro-Israel Biden administration has been pleading with Israel to at least implement pauses in its attack so that humanitarian aid can get to the population. Israel has reluctantly finally said it would do this, but it is unclear to what degree it will actually happen.
And the death toll continues to rise.
Alison Weir is executive director of If Americans Knew, president of the Council for the National Interest, and author of Against Our Better Judgment: The Hidden History of How the U.S. Was Used to Create Israel. See her presentation on the issue here.
- Essential facts about the Hamas-Gaza-Israel war
- A Synopsis of the Israel/Palestine Conflict
- Gaza-Israel: Latest news and statistics (the first 25 days)
- It’s not just Gaza – Israel is also killing scores in the West Bank
- Israeli communities near Gaza are on stolen land, former owners consigned to the Gaza ghetto
- The Israeli strike on Al Ahli Hospital days BEFORE the famous blast
- In Gaza, she now inhabits a solitary space between life and death
- Gideon Levy: Israel Can’t Imprison Two Million Gazans Without Paying a Cruel Price
- Israelis went through what Palestinians have experienced for decades
- WATCH: What was happening in Gaza BEFORE the Hamas attack that the media didn’t tell you?